1 month. 8,000 miles. 16 states. Nick, Janie and a Prius.

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Days 07-8 - NM, CO, AZ


We got Indian frybread and scoped some native art here.












This is what people do to their dogs in Colorado- horrific.
















This was the view from our campsite.


Our first encounter with wildlife. Nick tried to pick it up with a stick but this guy wasn't havin it.




There are a ton of deer at Mesa Verde. They don't care.


A lot of things out West look like they come straight from a Disney theme park or something, they're so unreal.


They also have the biggest dandelions I've ever seen.










This bug hung out on our tent all night..


and this creep, crab/spider, was under it in the morning. It's fast and went straight for our feet.


As soon as I get into the passenger's seat this is me.


Cliff dwellings.








We told these people off the day before for driving like maniacs.. and they ended up being on the tour with us. He's such a photog.


Being weird.


Nick took this. Reminiscent of a 70's photographer I know..


Hey Aub, we didn't see any elephant butts but we saw LOTS of horse butts.


Four corners.








This stray dog would have been in the Prius with us, if not for Nick.. "It has a disease."






This is just plain baffling.


Gives a whole new meaning to having a mouth like a trucker.





We finally got a really cozy room at the Comfort Inn in Arizona.

Nick immediately assumed this position and started watching 'Aliens.'


And I'm able to feel important at 'my' desk.


So, Nick here, just a quick sum up for the folks at home. Since the last update I have had no new barbecue, and we all know how the authentic Mexican food treated me. Mesa Verde was probably the pinnacle of our trip so far, it was beautiful and the wildlife was real cool. The only downside was that my driving was apparently too slow and erratic for some which caused me to make a few enemies shortly after arriving. Tonight we stopped at a Super 8 in Holbrook Arizona and it was real gross. I ended up arguing with a very "gaudy" clerk and a rude general manager which led to us getting a full refund, no cancellation fees. I know, im the man. Now we are at a comfort inn in Flagstaff and its really nice, worth every penny. Tommorow is the Grand Canyon, I hope to wake up to a ton of new comments, they mean as much to us as our photos and updates mean to you guys. With much love to everyone, Nick and Janie.

8 comments:

  1. Aubrey loved the pictures. She read the poisonous creature alert sign and has these comments: "Janie, I dare you to find a poisonous snake or scorpion and take a picture and send it to me. AND-- Nick, I dare you to find a spider or cricket, and guys send me a picture of them". " Oh yeah , and I'd want a horse for a souveniere, it can bring it's butt" She always has believed her big sis can do ANYTHING! And well...she loves you too Nick, in her own way! Brody is finally returning from his weekend of camping today, so we'll have to catch him up when he gets home.
    As far as my comments...I'm thinking Janie might still want to consider working for National Geo. as a photographer. Your photos are amazing! They make me both insanely proud and jealous of you! I'm also impressed by the photo of four corners. I've always wanted to be four places at once! With your permission we'd love to use some of these photos for the walls in the living room, but we'll wait till you guys get back to help us choose. Thanks again for keeping us posted, we can't wait to "go with you" to the grand canyon! All our love....Ran and Aubs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going bunkers not getting your blog for almost two days. Thank goodness for cell phones. It was nice chatting with you,short but sweet. Your campsite at Mesa Verde National park looked real nice. Nick,by now,you must be a pro at setting up camp. I'm not sure about all the creepy, crawly creatures you encounter on and, the ugly bugger, under the tent-Nasty!!! Loved seeing the pics of the cliff dwellings, especially, reminiscent of a 70's photographer. The photographer will get a big kick out of that one. Cute little prarie dogs, you'll see alot more of them in the Dokota's, hopefully no black diseased dogs. Beautiful sunset picture. I'm sure that will be the first of many. Seeing Nick sprawled out on his nice comfy bed, in a nice clean room,with a nice hot shower, made all the effort you put into getting refunded at the gross Super 8 worthwhile. YOU ARE THE MAN!!! Can't wait to see the Grand Canyon tomorrow. You're in my prayers, love ya. Gram

    ReplyDelete
  3. i like that you said gaudy, i know that whenever janie hears that word she thinks of me being uber gaudy as shit when we're 80 years old wearing sequined sweatshirts with kittens on them. i miss you guys, i love youuu ill call you guys tommorow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It took me until my 2nd run through the pictures to truly appreciate the one of Janie sleeping in the Prius. I love the reflection of Nick with the gigantic grin! Have fun tomorrow guys, you are in our prayers tonight too! xoxo Ran and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ah Mesa Verde, Uncle Jim and I disagree on the pronunciation. (After 2 college Spanish classes i think i win;) ) We are definitely going to want to stop there on our way back. The pictures are great. They are taking us down memory lane. Sami doesn't like the picture of Nick without his shirt. She said "OMG, mom why didn't you warn me. He's half dressed" you'd think with two brothers it wouldn't bother her at all. lol! Tyler and I love the picture of Janie sleeping. You look SO cute and peaceful despite the uncomfortable position. I especially like the pictures of the two of you and the tree. Great shot! Nick make sure you save some of those pills Janie's gram gave you. Uncle Jim and I are taking you out for Mexican. If you want great Mexican food California is the place to get it!

    All of the kids are excited to see you guys and they have something special planned for Nick. Be afraid, be very afraid Nick! :) BTW, Nick you are absolutely undeniably THE MAN! I am not sure that has ever successfully been done before. Kudos! Love you guys, be safe. Have fun at the GC and Vegas.

    ReplyDelete
  6. P.S. We'll leave a light on for you. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Howdy Janer and Nick!! I finally logged on here and wow the places you have been. Looks like so much fun. Mya points to all the pictures of Janie and laughs. You two are making some good time it looks like. Love seeing and the pictures and praying for your safe travels. Love you both, Neely and Mya

    ReplyDelete